During the hellenistic period many monumental buildings occupied the space of the Agora. The new big Stoas that dominated the place, were all donations of Hellenistic Kings.
The Stoa of Attalos (159-138 BCE)
The Stoa of Attalos was a donation by the King of Pergamon, Attalos II (159 BCE – 138 BCE) as an inscription on the entablature proves. It was two-storied, of Doric order, and was 120 metres long with 45 columns in the western side. In the Eastern one, it had 21 rooms that were used as shops. In noth and south ends staircases led to the second floor.
The Stoa was destroyed by the Heruli in 267 AD and became a part of the postherulian wall of Athens. The remaining structural materials were used for the construction of the two medieval towers in the Propylaia of Acropolis. The Stoa was completely restored between 1953-1956 by the American School of Classical Studies in order to accomodate the Museum of Ancient Agora.
Middle Stoa (c.160 BCE)
The Middle Stoa was probably constructed by the king of Cappadocia Ariathes V around 160 BCE. It was 147 metres long and 17.5 m. wide. It had 160 Doric columns all around and was separated in the interior by 23 Ionic columns. It was completely destroyed by fire during the raid of Heruli in 267 AD.
South Stoa II (c.150 BCE)
The South Stoa II (c. 150 AD) was built from the materials of the unfinished Square Peristylion, which was demolished in order to build the Stoa of Attalos in its place. It was a simple stoa with thirty Doric columns in its northern side, while a small fountain stood in the southern wall. It was destroyed during the siege laid by the Roman general Sylla in 86 BCE. On its ruins marble workers and ironworkers settled their industries by using the ruins. During the reign of Emperor Hadrian (117-138 AD), these industries were removed and the site was cleaned. A building (Eastern Building) linked the Eastern end of the South Stoa II and the Middle Stoa, creating an enclosed space which served as a commercial market.
Works in a smaller scale were also realised in the western part of the Agora. The Old Bouleuterion was demolished giving its place to a bigger building, the Metroon (c.130 BCE). In the Metroon were kept the official documents of the city. It had many rooms and in one of them was the sanctuary of the Mother of the Gods, as a memory of the archaic temple (Metroon) that was destroyed by the Persians. Also, the Royal Stoa acquired two small wings in both of its ends, for the placement of the slabs with the laws. Finally, north of the Temple of Hephaistos, a big rectangular building was erected which probably served as an Arsenal.
For other monuments of Hellenistic Athens click below: