1st PERIOD (1458-1640)
In 1456 the Ottomans reach Athens and occupy the city peacefully with the capitulation of Duke Acciaiuoli in 1458. Sultan Mehmed II reaches the city in August and admires the ancient citadel. Contrary to the westerners, the Turks show bigger respect to the city. They do not plunder the monuments, neither they harm them. Only some changes took place in the Parthenon with the addition of a minaret, for the transformation into a mosque and in the Erechtheum which was used for accommodating the harem.
The surface of the Acropolis was covered by many houses were the Turkish families, the garrison and the commander resided. Due to its importance as a fortress, the entrance to the Acropolis was denied to christians unless they had a special license.
2nd PERIOD (1640-1833)
The monuments of the Acropolis and mainly the Parthenon used to stand almost intact since the antiquity. In the 17th century, however, two destructions were caused. A lightning caused an explosion in the Propylaea where gunpowder was stored, in 1640. The next gunpowder magazine became the Parthenon. During the siege of the Venetians, under the command of the future Doge Francesco Morosini, a canon shell fell in the Parthenon and caused a huge explosion, in the night of September 26, 1687. The Turks built immediately afterwards a smaller mosque in the ruins of the Parthenon which was demolished in 1844 along with all the houses. The big medieval tower in the Propylaea was demolished in 1875.